“Okay, Mom, we’ll go tomorrow. That’s fine. See you then.” Click. Whenever I invite my mother to go shopping for the day, she always says yes, but on this particular occasion, she said no. Mom wanted to finish up a sewing project before taking off with me for a day of bargain hunting.
Oh well, I thought. At least I can look forward to visiting my sister and her family tonight. I moped into the bathroom to fix my hair. What a flop! I hadn’t had such a bad hair day in a very long time. This is not shaping up to be a good day, I thought.
The morning passed slowly. Finally lunchtime came and went, and I got my toddler down for her nap. At last! I had an hour to get ready before leaving to visit my sister, but I really wanted to go upstairs first to check my email in my office. But then I thought, I should first try to do something with this awful hair!
As I walked into the bathroom, the smell of smoke lay heavily in the air. My panic level was rising with every whiff of smoke. Was it my curling iron? Hair dryer? No. Maybe the smoke was coming inside from a fire in the backyard. No, the yard was fine. What else could it be? As I turned my head, I saw rings of smoke rising from my decorative bath towels. Upon closer examination, I found a fist-sized hole that had burned in one towel, and the ring around the hole was lit up with orange embers. The towel was just about to burst into flames. I quickly doused it with water from the faucet. Crisis over.
My house nearly burned down from most unusual circumstances. The strength of the winter sunbeams bursting through my bathroom window was reflecting off my brass mirror as it rested on the bathroom counter, and the sun rays were then bouncing onto a concentrated mark on the towel. A moment later, and the bathroom would have been in flames.
After the adrenalin ceased pumping through my veins, I began to realize what God had done for me that day. Had I gone shopping with my mother, I wouldn’t have been at home and the house would’ve burned down. Thank you, God, for having a greater purpose for life’s little disappointments. Had my hair turned out when I fixed it that morning, I wouldn’t have gone into the bathroom to catch the towel before it burst into flames. Thank you, God, for having a greater purpose in my imperfections. Had I first gone upstairs to check my email, I would’ve come back downstairs to find smoke and flames. Thank you, God, for helping me prioritize even the most insignificant affairs of life.
Why did God let the towel burn in the first place? If He hadn’t intended to permit the house to catch fire, why let the towel smolder and allow such a close call? God does everything with purpose, and He was teaching me a lesson. And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose (Rom. 8:28 NKJV).
Cost of replacing a smoldered bath towel: $12.99.
Cost of being reminded of God’s sovereignty: priceless.
– from A Month of Miracles